For tips and techniques on how to prepare a truly satisfying chicken pot pie, please click HERE
Hands-on time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups white-whole flour plus one tablespoon for kneading, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt plus additional, to taste
- 3 teaspoons safflower oil, divided
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise (if thick) and cut into 1/4 inch-thick pieces
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1 cup frozen baby peas (also known as petite peas)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoon cold unsalted organic butter
One: Preheat oven to 400°F and mist a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
Two: In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Add carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender-crisp and onion is translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Mist skillet with cooking spray and return to medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add to bowl.
Three: In same skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil on medium-high. Add chicken and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer oink in center, about 8 minutes. Return vegetables to skillet and stir to combine. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour and stir until chicken and vegetables are thoroughly coated and flour is no longer white, about 2 minutes. Add broth and stir in 1 cup of milk. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring frequently, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low and stir until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in peas and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley and lemon juice. Season with additional salt and pepper and transfer to baking dish.
Four: Cut butter into 1/4 to 1/2-inch cubes and add to reserved flour mixture. With a pastry blender, a fork or your fingers, incorporate butter into flour until mixture is shaggy with bits of butter the size of small peas. Add remaining 1/2 cup milk and stir until flour is just moistened. Lightly flour a work surface with remaining 1 tablespoon flour and briefly knead the dough into a ball with floured hands. Divide into 6 equal pieces and lightly pat each into a disk about 2 1/2 inches wide and scant 1/2 inch thick. Place disks on top of chicken mixture, evenly spaced about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until liquid is bubbling and biscuits are lightly browned and cooked through, 23 to 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
TIP: Wait until the very last moment (after the chicken mixture is finished and ready to bake) before adding the cold organic butter to the flour mixture and finishing the biscuits. This ensures a better rise and fluffier texture.